1.03.2008

Here fishy fishy

Well, at thanksgiving I had baby fish - there were at least 3 - 3 that I saw and rescued from the other fish in the tank. And then at Christmas Eve Night I noticed 16 more baby fish in the tank...so I pulled them and put them in a net as well, since I just released the previous 3 that were big enough to not be eaten.

So, yesterday I noticed that it was time to clean the tank, as it was starting to turn greenish - and hadn't before in the 6 months I've had those fish in there...so I gave it a shot. The water ended up really cloudy and I couldn't get all the crap out of there - so I headed off to the Petsmart to buy a bigger tank, since i'd have about 20 fish in there once the babies grew up.

I dropped $400 on a 47 gallon tank and fixin's and when I got it all home, the fish were dead...all but 2 of them. :( I guess they suffocated. So I got the new tank setup quickly and tried to get the other two fish in it before they had issues themselves, but unfortunately they too died shortly after I got the tank setup. In total retrospect, I think the water was too hot for them, even though it felt like room temperature to me.

So I go back to the Petsmart and get some more fish, and put them in their baggies in the water to equalize it...and wait the proper time, and then release them - and after about 30 minutes they die too. wtf? I could see them shooting to the top, with actions that looked like gasping for air...but I'm not sure. Even the frog that doesn't require air from the water died...so I attribute that to the temperature of the water as well. It's been sitting there empty since then, and was at 80 degrees this morning when I woke up. So I guess that by tomorrow evening, I should be able to buy a fish (only one this time, since I wasted $30 last night on them) to see if he makes it through the weekend.


In other news, I've been speaking my peace with a lot of old crap that I've stored away in my closet for the past couple years, like 15 years...things I've had since childhood that I don't have any business holding on to. Wizard mentioned that everything in his storage could go when he moved into his new house, because he obviously didn't use any of it. I started thinking about all the stuff that I have around the apartment that I don't use, but was holding on to in case I needed it...I have a lot of stuff.

If it wasn't so expensive to throw it all away and start all over, and if I didn't have a psychological issue throwing away working objects, I would. I'd like to get rid of my furniture, all the old clothes in my closet, and boxes of stuff that I don't need. I've started setting things outside hoping someone would take them, but no dice yet. I need to participate in a garage sale...I'm hoping Wizard and Mandy have one soon.

Other than that - I'm looking forward to the LAN Party this year. I have a better camera, and have played some better games than the years past.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

that stinks about your fish... *makes a sad face*... and i'm going through my things as well to clear crap out. i realize that in two short months, i'm combining my belongings with wizard. i don't know if we're having a yard sale or if we're just donating it all to goodwill, but i'll let you know if we go the sale route. :)

Anonymous said...

Bummer about your fish. My last one died last week, and now Pam's taking the tank. She's actually out buying stuff for it right now.

If you want to keep your tank going, you might get a water testing kit, or take a sample of your water to Petsmart and have it tested. That way you can figure out what's wrong with it, and potentially fix it with chemicals. Or, you may just have to start all over. =\

I've really surprised myself with all the stuff I've managed to get rid of in just the last year. I've probably reduced my belongings by about half...unfortunately I still think I have too much crap to take to MI. :(

Anonymous said...

Also 80 is probably too high for the fish, depending on what kind they are. I had tropical fish and kept the temperature around 72-74.