3.30.2009

Professional or Expert/Guru/Genius?

"All I know, is that I learned more on my own than I have in college classes - and experience always says more than education - otherwise, the newest college graduates would have better jobs and better pay than the seasoned workers, simply because their degree is newer, and theoretically more current." - [[Neo]]

I had been needing some blog fodder for a while - something that wasn't tired, old rhetoric based on political news.

And then I saw @Xemion post this message:
Retweeting @brandoncorbin: Why not replace Genius, Expert or Guru with Professional? this way you won't sound like an egotistical a** head.
to which I replied:
@xemion what if the people that use Genius, Expert, or Guru don't like the culture that "Professional" implies, but know just as much?
Then I read a non-reply reply from him:
I'm not sure what sort of culture "professional" implies, but it's got to be better than the one "guru" implies (IMO)

and I explained what I meant:
@xemion it's all opinion. IMO, "Professional" says "commercial corporate monkey"; Guru/Expert/Genius say "ultimate, life-dedicated hobbyist"
Which is pretty much how I view it. Let me explain...

I got my first corporate job doing accounting, but had always had an interest in IT stuff since college - it was the reason I went to college, after all, to extend my hobby into a degree.

I was a "power user" at work, and went through 3 computers during the first couple months because the crappy old Windows NT 4.0 machine couldn't handle the kind of work I wanted to do with it. Neither could the low-grade Optiplex GX-1.

When asking the IT people questions, I was always viewed as some dumb user who didn't know what I was talking about (and granted, I was in a lot of areas - but that's why I was asking the questions).

Everyone that I knew that was in the IT field, whether it was my parents, the company's IT people, or professors - they were all doing it to get paid, and had no interest in doing it because it was what they liked to do. It was a job choice...like my doing accounting work. They were (quote, unquote) "Professionals."

Now, I am the guy in that field, doing the things that they were doing. My predecessor at my current company is someone that I would consider a "professional" but then again, I don't know what his does in his spare time - though I'm sure it's nothing like what I do.

I wouldn't call myself an "Expert," "Guru," or "Genius" in any particular definition of the words. However, I would say that I am an extreme hobbyist that is not doing this just as a job, but because it's what I have essentially devoted my life to learning and doing. I take great pleasure/pride in the fact that I do not operate under any pretenses of coming in to any past or present job wearing the standard white shirt, black suit, and tie. Even when I was required to wear a suit to work, I never wore (never even owned) a white dress shirt.

I guess it's part of my "corporate identity" and my idea of the Corporate Environment 2.0. What one wears to work doesn't have anything to do with what one knows or is able to do. However, it does say something about how they view or conduct themselves. (And how they view themselves is portrayed in how they dress.)

So, would I prefer to tell people that I'm a professional or a guru/expert/genius when it comes to teck? Well, it would depend on the context - but frankly, if I were hiring an employee to help move an IT department forward, I would prefer the latter. If I wanted a warm body to just do tasks without new ideas, I'd probably hire a "professional."

All I know, is that I learned more on my own than I have in college classes - and experience always says more than education - otherwise, the newest college graduates would have better jobs and better pay than the seasoned workers, simply because their degree is newer, and theoretically more current.

2 comments:

Mandy said...

just a thought on this that you can take or leave. i've had similar conversations with more senior level staff and human resource people about this issue - a college degree isn't necessarily about the specific knowledge you obtain. it's no news to anyone (including those hiring you) that most of the time, you won't use a large percentage of your classes on a daily basis. in fact, most jobs know that they have to sometimes "untrain" things learned in school. skills are learned and fine-tuned while in a company and as such, your expertise grows in that career.

so why all this focus on a degree? because it gives you a common foundation. in my field, there is a general knowledge base and set of jargon that i gained that has come handy quite a bit. i didn't sound like a complete idiot when first speaking with clients and it made me have a better idea of the end result my supervisor expected from me. a college degree shows perspective employers that you had the commitment and drive to start and more importantly, finish, something. this may be an attribute that some gifted hobbyists may not have. it's a funny thing - most of the people who i have heard say that getting a degree is a piece of cake either doesn't have one/didn't finish or majored in some "fluffy" major. (or maybe i'm just dumb, but organic chemistry II made me really have to dig deep on some nights.) in addition, there are simply some fields that it's really hard to say you're an "expert" in without formal education/training. i work in the environmental science/biological realm and just because someone wants to save a tree or two and really likes recycling doesn't mean that they know the first thing about permitting or the nuances of getting a mitigation area to function properly.

i understand that there are always exceptions to the rule and acknowledge that there are non-degreed people out there that can fully accomplish and excel in a field that requires a degree. but at the same time, just because someone went through school to become a professional doesn't mean they aren't an independent thinker and are, as a result, a "commercial corporate monkey."

[[Neo[[ said...

well put mandy.
I totally didn't have any other fields in mind except the IT Field - and I guess I didn't specify.
There *are* some fields that require you have a degree, and in which I would not hire anyone who didn't: one of which would be accounting and finance. I don't want a hobbyist taking care of my financial future, or dealing with the government concerning my taxes.

I guess it's all a matter of perspective within the context of the career field...and I've been out of the hiring game so long (and when I was in it, it didn't take much to hire to work at a restaurant), and devoted all my time since 2003 to working/learning about computers I forget there are other career fields that don't fit the qualifications to be good at IT.