10.06.2008

On the way to work...

Well, the TRE was late to Union Station this morning - as is the norm these days, so much so, that if it was on time, it'd be early. It was raining, this distracted me, as I was more interested in trying to stay as dry as possible than anything else. So I got on the next train that pulled in. Everything was fine, as I passed through all the downtown stations, and then LBJ/Central station, though something looked a little different, but we hit all the stops I'm used to - this was just the first time I had ridden the train in the rain though. Well, about 2-3 more stops, I noticed that the train was pretty much empty, and thought it was just because not many people took it because of the rain.

I looked up, and noticed the blue sign's reflection in the window - the train label, and noticed it said Downtown Garland thought .oO( that's weird...they spelled "Downtown" as "DWNTN"...huh...).

A few minutes later I looked out the window and saw a "One Stop Shop" corner store that I hadn't seen before, and thought that was a little strange too - but attributed it to my normal routine of sleeping/being preoccupied by my podcasts I listen to on the way to work.

I also noticed that the train wasn't blowing its horn as frequently as it normally does and thought we might have had a new driver that didn't care...but that when it did, it was loud and sounded a little different. So at the next stop I looked out the window to see what Station it was...The station sign said "Downtown Garland". It all clicked...

"Oh shit."

I got off and looked up at the clock: 7:30am.

"Oh shit. Shit! Shit! Shit!"

I contemplated getting on the southbound train to go back to Dallas to meet the red-line (as I ended up on the blue-line) and then riding the red-line back up to Plano. Or to call my coworker that lives a little bit away, and see if she could come get me.

She was able, and that saved me an extra hour of commute time, and I only got to work about 10 minutes later than I normally would have due to the late train.

No comments: