9.14.2008

And change, it did...

I left my job at Texas Wesleyan at the end of June. June turned out to be historically the longest period of time that I have been employed and paid, while working as few days as possible. I used up all my sick days, since I wouldn't get paid for them, and I used the 3 paid summer vacation days they gave us. That was about 2.5 weeks worth of time off, which means I only worked about 11 days that month, but got paid for the whole thing.

I started my new job in Plano June 30, and have been doing it ever since. It's going on 2.5 months now, and things are looking pretty good. I've gotten to explore the parts of a server that the folks at the last job wouldn't let me, due to permissions...I've been instrumental in helping release the latest version of the website, and developing new technologies for the next version. And in general, I've gotten to be creative and not replace printer toners doing it.

I'm not a very big fan of riding the train - or at least I wasn't. But I've found ways to get around that. I now get TV on my cell phone, so I can watch MSNBC on the ride in, coffee in-hand, and get my news. I've also picked up listening to podcasts again, since my commute is about 1.5 hours one-way. I can cover a lot of information during that time.

But while I'm not a fan of having to ride the train, and rely on their scheduling (which has gotten better, since they added two buses to my routes), I *am* a fan of only having to fill up my gas tank every two weeks now. I save a shitton of gas by riding the train.

I also have been saving a shitton of money since I started packing my lunch. For a while there, I went out to lunch with some coworkers to get in with people on the inside, but for the past month, I've stopped using my credit cards, since they were all maxed out, and have been bringing my lunch. Not only does this save on expenses, but also gives rise to weight loss. I'm shooting for 220 or less by Christmas when I have to go visit my mother for the first time in 5 years...I don't want to be a fatty when I go, and am hoping I get to take my girlfriend, who ever she may be at the time.

I have to go to bed at 10:00 or as close to that as possible however, since I have to get up at 5:00am in order to get ready and pack a lunch, to get to the train on time. Otherwise, I have to drive, and that kills 1/3 of the gas tank, plus the wasted allocated fare for the train ticket.

Things are starting to look up finally...and I've taken control of all the spiraling my life was doing this summer. Now it's time to sleep.

Peace

No comments: